Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Another post about another book that my mom brought home for me to read.
When I was very little, I loved the TV show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood [sic; Silly Americans.] So. The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember, by Fred Rogers, seemed to be calling out to come home to visit me, my mom said. [N.B. the link is to amazon.com, not amazon.ca, so that you can see a picture & a review.]

It's a short, cute little book.
Each page has a pithy aphorism from Mr. Rogers. Now, normally, I loathe and detest inspirational aphorisms. These ones, however, aren't in-your-face, or overly annoying. They are optimistic, but they're more thoughtful then most of the genre.
It was a cute book, and it made me smile. It made me remember cardigans, and Daniel Stripèd-Tiger, and King Friday XIII, and the trolley that led to the neighbourhood [my description, so a proper spelling this time] of make-believe: I never liked it as much when he just put models of the buildings on the kitchen table.

Nostalgia can be fun.