Sunday, December 28, 2003

Christmas books! A joyous tradition (and completely distracting)!

  1. Northrop Frye's Notebooks and Lectures on the Bible and Other Religious Texts ed. Robert D. Denham

    • I'm enjoying, although there was no real doubt that I would. Currently, I'm in the midst of "Notebook 3," which dates from about 1946-48.
    • I am feeling, though, that I'd like to know more about yoga. NF seems principally concerned with understanding a number of yoga sutra books he's reading, and explaining them in terms of the gospels. Intriguing.
    • Sex books in a bookshop are not there to tell you anything you don't know; they're there to keep your mind on the subject. Similarly with devotional literature, Christian and Marxist.
      --[P310 fr. n21 (198)]

  2. Jakob Böhme, The Way to Christ. Haven't yet begun.

  3. St. Augustine, City of God. I have wanted this book for quite some time. I haven't started reading it yet, but am rather looking forward to it.


  4. The Cantos of Ezra Pound.

    • Another book I have wanted for some time. This desire is odd; I knew full well that I'd not understand the greater part of what's going on in the book. And yet.
    • So why of interest? Well, they sound pretty...
    • I'm being impressed by my remembering of greek myths, but I wish it was better still. Ah well. Perhaps one day, I'll be a true polymath. <sigh>